Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Shabby Vanity

This is by far one of my favorite projects yet! I've always wanted a vanity but the standard vanity never did the trick for me. I wanted something unique and shabbulous! Not only was this fun, but it was super easy and can be made from so many different things.


These are the things I happened to gather together for my project:

An old door from the flea market,


An old sewing table I found at an estate sale,

....and horribly spray painted mirror I also found at the flea market.

The door in my opinion was perfect as is so I didn't do a thing to it. I didn't have to do much to the sewing table either to acheive the look I loved!

Let me just take a minute to profess my love of Vintage Market and Design Furniture Paint and Finishing touches which is what I used for the whole project. This stuff is soooo easy! You don't have to sand or prime and it sticks to virtually anything. I've painted glass, terra cotta, MDF, wood and even fabric with this stuff. It's incredible, and with 59 colors to choose from the possibilities are virtually endless. Off my soapbox I go.


So as I said previously, I didn't have to do much to the sewing table. I painted it with VM&D's Furniture paint in the color 'Antique', distressed it with 150 grit sandpaper and then waxed it with VM&D's Dark Umber Wax which gave it a much more rich and distressed look. Lastly, I topped it with VM&D's Satin Clear coat just to ensure that it would be protected for years to come.


The mirror took a bit more work because of how badly it was spray painted and black to boot. I was hoping to find a gold mirror but I loved the shape of this one too much to pass it up. I started by painting the whole thing with one coat of 'Antique'.


That just wasn't doing it for me. I then used another great product by Vintage Market and Design called Crowning Touch in 'Antique Gold'. I kinda just "pounced" that over it with a regular paint brush.


The picture above doesn't do it justice due to the lighting but hopefully you get the idea. The Crowning Touch has a bit of shine and is absolutely beautiful. Lastly, I dry brushed another VM&D paint color called 'Conch' over that. I was happy with the results. I wanted a little bit of "girly" but not too much.


Put it all together and get your very own Shabby vanity! I plan on making it it's own vanity chair but for now I just used one of my dining chairs. I just loved this project and I hope you do too! If you do one, I'd love to see pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment